Palestine

Support for Mine Action

Last updated: 22 December 2023

In 2022, Palestine received a total of US$3.9 million in international assistance from seven donors. This represents an increase of 51% compared to the $2.6 million received in 2021.[1]

Most of the funding in 2022 ($2.5 million, or 64%) went to the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS). The remaining $1.4 million (36%) went to the HALO Trust, Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA), and ITF Enhancing Human Security.

International contributions: 2022[2]

Donor

Sector

Amount

(national currency)

Amount

(US$)

European Union

Various

€1,000,000

1,053,400

United States

Clearance, risk education

US$1,014,000

1,014,000

Japan

Risk education, victim assistance

¥122,494,000

931,805

New Zealand

Capacity-building, risk education

NZ$780,000

496,158

Norway

Various

NOK2,958,594

307,744

Slovenia

Victim assistance

N/R

72,522

Poland

Clearance

N/R

44,434

Total

 -

N/A

3,920,063

Note: N/A=not applicable; N/R=not reported.

Five-year support for mine action

In the five-year period from 2018–2022, Palestine received a total of approximately $15 million in international assistance for mine action. This represents a 25% decrease from the $20.3 million received during the previous five-year period, from 2013–2017.

Summary of international contributions: 2018–2022[3]

Year

International contributions (US$)

% change from previous year

2022

3,920,063

+51

2021

2,600,000

-38

2020

4,200,000

+132

2019

1,810,978

-30

2018

2,592,861

+55

Total

15,123,902

N/A

                  Note: N/A=not applicable.

 


[1] Japan: response to Monitor questionnaire by Akifumi Fukuoka, Deputy Director, Conventional Arms Division, Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 7 September 2023. Netherlands: Netherlands Convention on Cluster Munitions Article 7 Report (for calendar year 2022), Form I; and Netherlands Mine Ban Treaty Article 7 Report (for calendar year 2022), Form I. New Zealand: United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), “Annual Report 2022,” April 2023, pp. 119–120. Norway: Norway Mine Ban Treaty Article 7 Report (for calendar year 2022), Form J. Poland: UNMAS, “Annual Report 2022,” April 2023, pp. 119–120. Slovenia: ITF Enhancing Human Security, “Annual Report 2022,” March 2023, pp. 20–21. United States: US Department of State, Bureau of Political-Military Affairs, Office of Weapons Removal and Abatement (PM/WRA), “To Walk the Earth in Safety: 1 October 2021–30 September 2022,” 4 April 2023. For Article 7 reports, see Mine Ban Treaty Article 7 Database and Convention on Cluster Munitions Article 7 Database.

[2] Average exchange rates for 2022: €1=US$1.0534; NZ$1=US$0.6361; NOK9.6138=US$1; ¥131.4589=US$1. US Federal Reserve, “List of Exchange Rates (Annual),” 9 January 2023.

[3] See previous Support for Mine Action country profiles. ICBL-CMC, “Country Profiles: Palestine,” undated; ICBL, Landmine Monitor 2022 (ICBL-CMC: Geneva, November 2022); ICBL, Landmine Monitor 2021 (ICBL-CMC: Geneva, November 2021); and ICBL, Landmine Monitor 2020 (ICBL-CMC: Geneva, November 2020).